Sunday, May 23, 2010

The vibrant colors of San Antonio, Texas!

With three hundred days of sunshine annually and an average temperature of 70 degrees, it's no wonder that more than 26 million people visit San Antonio each year. Beyond the Alamo and the popular River Walk, San Antonio offers something for everyone.

For me, it was the Historic Market Square (or El Mercado). The moment I entered this vibrant and colorful market, I felt as if I had stepped across the border into Mexico. Spanning three square blocks, this indoor and outdoor market consists of over 100 shops, food stalls and restaurants, including Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery. Home to the best Mexican hot chocolate I've ever tasted, Mi Tierra first opened its doors in 1943 and has never closed – it is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Spicy Mexican food, authentic Mexican pastries and peppy mariachi music have been the mainstays here ever since.

Market Square is truly a treat for all the senses. Everywhere I turned there were friendly people, lively mariachi music, amazing smells and rich, gorgeous colors. It was the perfect mecca for experiencing a little local flavor, people-watching and shopping.

2 comments:

  1. I took a look at the Mi Terra link - wow all the bakery & candies ... how over-tempting.

    So was there any special dish you had there that was extra unique (besides the hot chocolate .. strange choice :))

    Oh and what color of those dresses did you buy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! It was Mexican hot chocolate and it was delicious. I also tried the churros which were fabulous as well. I didn't actually eat a full meal there, I just patronized the bakery!

    And I didn't buy a dress, they were just for the kiddies. But if they came in my size I would've gotten the hot pink! :)

    ReplyDelete