Sunday, May 30, 2010

Austin's Food Trailer Scene

One of my favorite things about Austin was discovering that some of the best food was to be found in moving trailers! This popular phenomenon has literally exploded over the past year, thanks to the struggling economy. It's much cheaper to open a mobile food trailer than it is to invest in an entire restaurant, and if you are able to produce a few great dishes that people will come back for again and again, you've got it made. There were far too many trailers for me to try during my short stay, but I had a blast tracking down some of the most popular ones. Here are a few of my faves:

Torchy's easily gets the award for the best tacos and the best queso I've ever eaten. Unique flavor combinations such as the Mr. Pink (ahi tuna) taco, the Brushfire (beef brisket) and Green Chili pork made my taste buds dance with every bite. Tacos ranged from $3-$4 each and service was friendly and fast. Believe you me, if I'm ever in Austin again, Torchy's is the first place I'm heading!

Holy Cacao
Offering unusual items made from the sacred Cacao such as Cake Balls, Cake Shakes, S ‘mores and Frozen Hot Chocolate, Holy Cacao is what I would consider my heaven. Never having had a cake ball, I was intrigued - especially when I found out it was peanut butter covered with chocolate.The peanut butter literally melted in my mouth and I regretted not buying 10 instead of just one! Honestly, life doesn't get any better than this! It's a good thing I don't live in Austin permanently because I don't think I could resist eating at least 3 of those every day!
 
Gourdough's tagline really says it all. Big.Fat.Donuts. With names like Mother Clucker, Flying Pig and Baby Rattler, these sinfully delicious treats are not for the faint of heart. I opted for the Funky Monkey with chocolate frosting. OH YES, it was as good as everyone says, BUT BETTER. The doughnut itself was straight out of the fryer, hugh, and had that sweet homemade doughy taste. Then it was slathered with sweet chocolate frosting and topped with grilled bananas and brown sugar. I may have been on a brown sugar high, but I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Honestly, there cannot be a more decadent treat anywhere on this planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment